Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pennants, Banners, and Buntings, Oh My!

A BUNCH OF BUNTING from Brighter Sparks


I'm so confused...I don't know which is which. I have seen Pennants, Banners, and Buntings used to describe the same items. I really was curious so I Google'd "difference between Banners and Pennants" to see if I could figure it out, thinking I'd get to the Buntings description next.
I found this site Miss Party . She described each, and added Garlands (that was a word I was pretty sure of, but it's added here too). Here is what I learned:

Pennants = The word 'pennant' is used interchangeably with 'flag', except to say that most definitions describe it as a singular, commemorative flag with a narrowing point. In sports, it would typically be felt and display the colors, mascot symbol and name of the team or team's school. In the past, ships would fly a pennant from the main mast when at sea.

Banners = A banner is, essentially, an attractive sign which usually have special messages and are embellished. They can be quite intricate or extremely simple and are usually made of fabric, paper or plastic. There are Heraldic Banners which display a Coat of Arms. There are, of course, all manner of advertising banners as well....

Buntings = a collection of flags considered as a group. Flags are usually made of cotton or woolen cloth, but can also be made of paper or plastic. Usually used for festive decorations. Letters can be printed on each flag to spell out a name or phrase.

Garlands = a wreath or string of flowers or any other materials, worn for ornament as an honor or draped and hung as a decoration. The items used on a garland are usually identical or all of the same type (even if the size of the item varies); are of a pleasing color combination or a pattern has been thought out, or the items themselves have been strung in an intentionally repetitious pattern. Materials that can be used are limited only by creativity.

SO, I think, from what I have learned here, I have only Buntings in this collection of photos. Right?

Here is an example of one of her buntings made of fabric. Miss Party

And here is an example of one of her buntings made of paper. Miss Party


Others I have collected:
From Weddingbee


I think this adds to the room, but it might make it less formal too. Wedding Bee


Buntings and Buttons. Capture the Details


Vintage Linen Buntings from a shop at Etsy


Two sizes used here. Green Wedding Shoes

Handky Bunting at Green Wedding Shoes


Wrapped around the table. One of my favorite weddings on Ruffled



Lacey sheer bunting at Green Wedding Shoes


Use buntings to rope off an area. (This is from a wedding I saw somewhere online!)

And like this. (again, from a wedding I saw online. My Bad!)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...