Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Still Thankful - For Food

Oh Ya, Good Food!
The list of good food is almost never ending, and we had a lot of it for our Thanksgiving dinner. However, this is the only mention today because I promised family I would post this recipe before the end of the week (and it takes up enough space all by itself). It is yummy!



Danish Apple Bars

Ingredients
Crust:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk (white used later)
about 1/2 cup milk

Filling:
1 cup crushed cornflakes (I don't always crush them, and I also add an extra handful)
8 large apples, peeled and sliced (my favorite for apple pies are Granny Smith or Rome, I used Rome for Thanksgiving)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar (I add a little more because I like it a little thicker)
3 Tlb water
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Sift together flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add enough milk to egg yolk to make 1/2 cup. Add to flour mixture, blending until moistened. Divide dough almost in half, making one section slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger portion; cover bottom and sides of jelly roll pan (15x10 inch).

Sprinkle the bottom crust with cornflakes. Arrange apple slices over top. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. (Sometimes I mix the sugar and cinnamon with the apples before putting them on the crust.)

Roll out the remaining dough. Fit over top of apples. Moisten edges of the dough with water; seal. Cut steam vents in top.

Brush with stiffly beaten egg white.
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. to 1 hour, depending on your oven - until golden brown.

Combine confectioners sugar, water and vanilla, mixing well. Spread over bars while still warm.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...