Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Friday, December 27, 2013

Black-eyed Peas = Good Luck and Prosperity

This is a favor idea I cut from a Real Simple magazine (January 2008) a few years ago.
While trying to de-junk my stuff this year I found this again, scanned it for safe keeping, and tossed the paper clipping.  De-junking is an on going project for me.  It's hard though, because at the same time I keep stuffing new or different stuff away.

I thought this would be a good thing to consider around this time of year.  We only have a few more days before our new year begins.
Let's finish this one strong and be prepared to begin the next year even stronger.
 
 
---
 
What do you know about black-eyed peas?
 I checked it out.
 
pauladeen.com offers this and more, including recipes:
 
Why does Paula eat one black-eyed pea for each day of the New Year? We Southerners know that eating black-eyed peas ensures good luck and prosperity throughout the upcoming year.
 
A coin in the pot promises extra fortune to the one who finds it in his scoop of peas. And a penny is often put under each bowl of peas to boost the luck potential.
 
Legend tells us also that black-eyed peas became a lucky dish during the Civil War. Union soldiers near the town of Vicksburg, Va. burned all crops except the peas; thinking they were animal feed, the soldiers did not bother them. Residents discovered that the legume was the only thing left to eat; they adapted it into their diet, and black-eyed peas were therefore considered the food of good fortune.
 
Today, people wouldn’t dream of starting off their year without a good luck pot of black-eyed peas.
 
---
 
I found info and some recipes at Southern Living, Wikipedia and at Aggie Horticulture.
 
---

Here is another paper I filed away - more beans - from a page out of a Rachael Ray magazine (don't know the date).

 
 
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...