Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Graduation Party and Sandwiches

I've been thinking a lot about sandwiches lately, because that was part of what we served at our graduation luncheon. 
I really like the look of these subs - it's a great way to hold a sandwich together for buffet tables. From Country Living.



As much as I like that look, I didn't use it for our luncheon.  Only because we didn't do subs.
  However, I did want a wrapped sandwich so I purchased some sandwich bags. (from Amazon)
Our sandwiches were Beef on a Bun
(beef slices, Muenster cheese slice, lettuce, mayo, and honey mustard)
and
Chicken Croissant
(boiled and cut up chicken, onion, celery, yummy grapes, and a mayo seasoned with salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice).


This next photo is a scan of a page I cut out of a magazine many years ago.  Before computers!  But I was still saving the look back then (and not writing where I got the look from, sorry) - I put this page (after writing my note on it) in my files to remind me of what I liked.
I really liked the idea of using a box like this, only I don't do cigars but decided that pencil boxes made an excellent option. 
School + Graduation + Luncheon = a great time to use pencil boxes for a lunch box.  This is one (big) reason why I chose to have sandwiches for this celebration.


So I searched for pencil boxes.  They used to be everywhere years ago, but they have transformed into plastic and different styles, unlike the look above.  I did however, find some cheap plain white pencil boxes online (at Discount School Supply) and thought that they would be perfect.

Upon arrival I found that they were a bit disappointing and I almost returned them.  I also had some damaged boxes - I wrote and explained my disappointment and they sent me replacements.  Still not the quality I was hoping for, but hey, I did say they were cheap!
I decided to use them anyway, because I kinda had my mind set on pencil boxes. But, because the boxes looked kinda icky inside I wanted to cover that up.  It's not a very appetizing look.  See how dirty the corners look and some even have the nice little rip in them. (personal photo untouched) I guess if you buy these to cover with paper or fabric or whatever, then it won't be a problem, but I was hoping to leave them white. 

So, after the initial disappointment, I decided to use some fabric to lay inside, kinda like the photo above has a napkin inside. I thought about a paper napkin, but felt that the fabric gives more variety and adds a special feel and look.  Fabric would also not stain the box if they got wet like a paper napkin might.  Why worry about that on these boxes ???? I don't know, I just did !!!

I purchased assorted black and white fabrics (using black because it's our graduates favorite color ... that and grey) and made my own napkins. 
Half a yard of fabric cut into thirds lengthwise, and hemmed the edges.  I refered to a previous post to help me know for sure how to hem napkins, though I didn't do it exactly the same way.
The napkin was tucked into the boxes for a much better finished look - and I really like the finished look.


It was a fun way to fill the pencil box that afternoon.



We let everyone fill their own box. We had sandwiches, a yummy Cashew Noodle Chicken Salad served in half-pint jars, and assorted individually bagged chips.  For our drink we simply served cold bottled water and little packets of flavoring.  For dessert we had a few favorites - milk (the graduates all-time favorite drink) and cookies, donuts, brownie bites, and rhubarb pie.


Whew! It's over!  Now, the clean up!  It wasn't that bad -  when we got home from graduation I went to the kitchen to wash a few things while people were still visiting - to my Great Surprise things were already washed and many were even put away.  The kitchen didn't look at all like I left it. So, to my kitchen fairy ... a great big

THANK YOU! 
You are awesome!
(What are you doing tomorrow?  :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...