Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hat Boxes!

Inspired by this collection found on Ruffled,



and this found at  Green Wedding Shoes




I set out to cover some boxes with the colors we were using. The hardest part was finding the fabric I really wanted to use. The covering of the boxes was the easiest part.

The fabric I found came in square yards, and thinking that I might want to use it for something else later, I left it that size. I already had some boxes as part of my decor in my home and I didn't want to destroy them by gluing things to them. I was able to use straight pins where I needed to hold things in place.

I laid the fabric out flat (inside up) and set the box on top. Pulled the fabric up and over and stuffed it into the box trying to keep it looking like it was evenly gathered instead of bunched or folded in one place. I did the same with the lid, though it just isn't deep enough to hold all the extra fabric. A rubber band can help hold that fabric together a little bit, or pins. Then I simply put the covered lid on the covered box and tried to decide how to embellish it.

Ribbon and/or lace wrapped around it looks nice. Large flowers and buttons, bows or gathered fabric swatches work great too.

I was using things I already had, so I felt limited in my abilities. It's usually cheapest that way anyway. (Of course you've already spent the money on the embellishments at one time, but often times they are things that were taken apart to be re-used again in another way. Oh the beauty of storing stuff!)







I had one more box I could cover (and it wasn't a special box), so I glued some scrapbooking paper around it and embellished it with a large flower I created with some ribbon I had (and a button and beads).

The photographs aren't professional and have not been touched up, and to me, they seem to look better in real life.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...