Welcome to MY STUFF ROOM - a space for my collection of STUFF ... STUFF GALORE ... GALORE-IOUS STUFF! ... INSPIRING STUFF I find online, and maybe even some STUFF I create myself. It's all Stuff that makes for a Creatively Galore-ious Day! ... Thanks to all who share their talents! I love to see it ... it truly inspires.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Using all of our strength.

This is a story a friend sent to me thru an email a few weeks ago.  I thought it would make a good post so I copied and saved it. 

Using All Your Strength
A young boy was walking with his father along a country road. When they came across a very large tree branch the boy asked, “Do you think I could move that branch?”

His father answered, “If you use all your strength, I’m sure you can.”
So the boy tried mightily to lift, pull and push the branch but he couldn’t move it. Discouraged he said, “Dad, you were wrong. I can’t do it.”

His dad said, “Try again.” This time, as the boy struggled with the branch his father joined him and together they pushed the branch aside.
 
“Son,” the father said, “the first time you didn’t use all your strength. You didn’t ask me to help.”

image here

This is an important lesson. There are many things we can’t do alone, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get them done. We all are surrounded by resources that can be mobilized to help us achieve our goals including family, friends and faith. Sometimes we fail to ask for help because of pride or stubbornness. Sometimes we think it’s a sign of weakness to admit we need a hand. And sometimes we don’t even think about asking for help. Whatever the reason, it’s a waste.

It’s important that we learn to use all our strength; this includes inner resources such as discipline, courage and even love. But it also includes outer resources. Just as we should be willing to help others we should be willing to ask the help of others. It’s one of the great things about being human.

Michael Josephson

I heard this story again (or a story quite similar) as I was listen to Terrence M. Vinson speak at General Conference the first weekend of October. It's a very good principle to remember. You can find his complete message HERE. 

Here is just one paragraph from that message he gave -

"The Lord gives us ways to help remember Him and His sustaining powers. One way is through that common lot we all share—adversity (see Alma 32:6).  As I look back at the trials I have faced, it is clear that they have resulted in my growth, understanding, and empathy. They have drawn me closer to my Heavenly Father and His Son with experiences and refining engraved into my heart."

"Our Savior wants us to really love Him to the point that we want to align our will with His. We can then feel His love and know His glory. Then He can bless us as He wants to."

It's almost a duh! thing, but we must remember that using ALL of our strength makes us stronger! and we must remember where we gain all of our strength.  The Lord is my strength.  And sometimes I see good people become His Hands giving me strength. Sometimes I can be His hands helping others. I must be ready and willing at all times to be that person, that helping hand. I must also remember to use all of my strength as I become that helping hand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...